The CDH Chronicle

The Student News Site of Cretin-Derham Hall

The CDH Chronicle

The CDH Chronicle

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A New Face in the Math Department

Mr. Mark Grunewald returns to teaching and joins the faculty of CDH

Mr. Grunewald; a new teacher at CDH, is a great new asset to the CDH faculty. He teaches math courses including Calc-Stats, Advanced Analysis, Advanced Algebra 2 with Trigonometry, and Intro to Algebra. He is very hardworking and does a lot for the students here. But where did Mr. Grunewald work before CDH? And how did he end up teaching math? 

Mr. Grunewald’s first job after college was working to help students and families to complete their GED and college degrees to further assist them in their careers. That organization had two GED classrooms, and Mr G often helped the students with math and science as he had more experience than the GED teachers who were working there. He went back to graduate school at University of Wisconsin – Rview Falls and received his MAT Teaching Mathematics. His first high school teaching job was at Hudson Sr High in Hudson, WI for 3 years, then he taught at Robbinsdale Armstrong High School in Plymouth, MN for the next 5 years. He then worked as a mortgage banker for 21 years while also teaching college statistics algebra at Metropolitan State University before he switched back to being a high school teacher here at CDH.  

One reason Mr. Grunewald came back to teaching high school was that his daughter got older and he went to her classes – he missed the experience of being the teacher. One of his best friends was an alumni of CDH and he has two daughters: one that graduated from CDH and one who currently attends. That friend encouraged Mr. Grunewald to apply for a math position at CDH. 

Mr. Grunewald was a psychology major with a pre-med focus at Macalester College. He always liked to quantify his research with statistics, and he enjoyed helping his first clients with math and science to earn their GED’s. All of Mr G’s work has involved either teaching math or using math to help them improve their lives. 

Mr. Grunewald feels CDH is an excellent fit. He really likes the students and staff at CDH. Mr G says teaching at CDH is the best job he has ever had. He appreciates connecting with students and getting to know each person in his classroom. He not only loves teaching math and statistics, but helping students improve their skills while also showing them how they can apply their knowledge in the future. Grunewald appreciates being a role model for students and making sure they feel welcomed in the classroom. He always wants students to know he’s here to help them. He believes that anyone who learns more mathematics and statistics will benefit from these problem solving skills. He believes this knowledge will help create more career opportunities for every student in the future, along with helping them better understand the world around them. 

Mr. Grunewald loves being a teacher at CDH and being a Raider! He thinks the teachers and staff are excellent, and the students at CDH as best he has ever taught.