The CDH Chronicle

The Student News Site of Cretin-Derham Hall

The CDH Chronicle

The CDH Chronicle

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Second Time’s the Charm

Kathryn Fetterly Found Her Place at CDH

After fifteen years in the classroom, social studies educator Kathryn Fetterly is considered a veteran teacher at Cretin-Derham Hall. Interestingly, teaching is Fetterly’s second career. Prior to finding her passion for teaching, Fetterly was a real estate lawyer.

At CDH Fetterly teaches social studies in the 9th grade Values classes. Values is a 9th grade course with 3 teachers that combines the subjects of Social Studies, Religion, and English all into one class. In addition to Values, Fetterly also teaches one social studies elective each trimester. She teaches economics, sociology, women’s studies, and this year is the first time she’ll teach Close Up. Her favorite subject to teach is Values. Fetterly loves welcoming the new freshman every year and teaching them about the culture of the school.

“Values is my favorite because I love the age of the students coming in. Everything is brand new for them and I am able to teach them about the culture of the school and what it means to be a Raider,” Fetterly said.

Fetterly talks about the culture of the school and how it has prgressively changed since she first began teaching. She mentions how the experience of the student body and staff is different every year, but the community aspect of the school has always stayed the same.

“Every year the student body changes culture in terms of fashions, fads, and technology, but the culture of being a strong community has always been there.”, Fetterly stated.

Fetterly’s favorite part of teaching is her interactions with the students. While she loves the instruction aspect of her job, interacting with students and forming positive connections with them is the highlight of her experience.

“For me it is the relationships with the students. I love getting to know my students really well and getting to know their lives,” said Fetterly.

Fetterly’s experience teaching at CDH has been nothing but a positive one. She has loved the job since the very beginning, and could never imagine herself at any other school or in any other career.

“I am very happy with my job. This is the first teaching job I ever got and I never want to leave Cretin-Derham Hall,” Fetterly said. Ms. Fetterly and CDH are a perfect match. She loves CDH and we are lucky to have her in the CDH community.